Friday, October 2, 2009

So a gay guy, a medicinal marijuana user, and a nice Christian boy from rural Maine walk, arm in arm, into a bar...

...No, you're not in one of those cliche bar jokes; it's just another day in L.A.!

Wednesday afternoon, in preparation for taking my class in the city, I decided to at long last venture forth into the great unknown frontier of the L.A. public transportation system, also known as, *drumroll*, The Metrolink (rails, subways, buses etc...) During my subway ride, I exited a little too early at Hollywood/Vine and stood there sort of staring at the street. Not really much to see where I was, however, someone thought very differently about that. I turned to go back down to the subway, when, all of a sudden, this guy approaches me, puts his hand on my arm, leans in close, and says, "Can I just give you a complement? You are sooo sexy." I suppressed a smile. He smirked and continued on his merry way. Smelled like he'd had enough rum to choke ten sailors, but hey, a compliment is a compliment, right? Maybe I got what it takes to make it in this town after all.

Fast forward to later that evening, I was now safely back from a successful scouting trip and making my way back to Glendora from the Covina train station. Then I heard footsteps coming up behind me fast enough to overtake me, and before long I was acquainted with a man who turned out to be a fellow rider on the train. We got talking, ok, well he did most of the talking, and he told me about his upcoming trip to Washington D.C... for a medical marijuana rally, fifteen thousand strong too. Some other details about medical marijuana use in L.A. followed and how law enforcement, they'll never shut down the, "clinics." The best part was when he showed me a picture of the guy who's going to personally hand a signed petition to President Obama at the end of the rally. Cool, float on past that secret service; works every time. I later declined to join him in a friendly bowl behind the bushes in preference of sleep, my number one drug of choice. Truly though, my heart went out to him, and I hope my manner spoke to him of something more.

So, I'm really tired, and I haven't even gotten to the events of the last two days, so I'm going to write the readers digest summary: Class last night was creative and fun, and I'm looking forward to the next one; stayed with friend down the street from back east(funny how that worked out); Spent a lot of time walking up Ventura Blvd. in search of Samuel French performing arts bookstore(an actor could lose himself in there); picked up agency and casting director guides this while there as well as a book about how to effectively interview with agents and casting directors and managers, oh my(notice a pattern?); took the bus back to subway, came back here to my home away from home, chatted with Patricia for some time.

Need to really start knocking down some doors next week and reading up on who's who this weekend now that I know my way around a little better. Also, I picked up a weekly L.A. magazine with a lot about the local scene; looks like some fun stuff in the arts coming up, and a good guide in general (best vinyl record stores, restaurants, Japanese public baths, sex stores, you know, the usual). Found a park in universal city that will make a good place to do laps and other fitness related tasks when my hip flexor isn't totally freaking out at the mere thought of jogging(really bugging me at the moment, but I'll pamper it for a while). That's all folks. Thanks for your patience!
jD

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're getting out there, exploring, and finding adventure! I am enjoying your SoCal sunshine on this rainy dark New England morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *sorry...typos in the last comment*

    You know, if you don't mind getting hit on by gay guys and hanging with potheads, you should have just moved to Key West! ;) lol...

    ReplyDelete